Hey everyone, I’m Hannah and I’m your SU Wellbeing Officer. Congratulation on your results and a very warm welcome to Aberystwyth University!
Here is a list of a few things that I wish I had brought with me to university upon my arrival three years ago, hopefully it can be of some help to you guys in the future too:
- A Raincoat: The weather here really can be dreary sometimes, I never bought myself a raincoat and I regretted that decision within the first couple of days.
- Cables: For all you gamers and binge-watchers out there, student accommodation will provide you with the ports, but not the cables. If you’re planning on brining a console, computer, or TV then I’d recommend buying the cables for them before you get here so that as soon as you move in you can be up and running.
- Pin Board Pins - The uni halls bedrooms all have pin boards. It’s so handy to have pins for them as soon as you move in so you can hang your posters and other bits up with when you first move in, it makes it feel much more homely.
- Boots / Walking Shoes – While living in Aberystwyth you may find yourself going on lots of walks along the beach, in the woods or even up mountains and with the terrain here it’s so much nicer to have boots.
- A Designated Blanket for the Beach – It is so much nicer having a bonfire or BBQ on the beach when you don’t have to sit on the cold rocks and after bonfire, they usually tend to smell of fire smoke, so it always comes in handy to have a designated one just for that purpose, so you don’t have to ruin your nice blankets!
- Sharpies – These come in handy for marking up your belongings that look similar to your flatmates so that things don’t get confused (e.g phone plugs, headphones, plates…). It can also be handy to buy colourful cutlery, so they don’t get as confused or mixed up either.
- Something for your Door – Outside most of the bedroom doors in Uni accommodation is a small pin board, having something on this that resembles you would be great and It makes it so much easier to know who is living in which room.
- Mattress Topper – What’s the most important thing when sleeping? That’s right COMFORT. Be sure to bring a mattress topper to ensure maximum comfort from your university bed (because they’re not the greatest)
- Fancy Dress – You never know what kind of socials you’ll be going on or what kind of events will be held during your time at Univeristy, so it’s always great to have something funky to throw on just in case.
- Swimming Trunks / Costume – You never know when you’ll be feeling spontaneous and want to go for a swim or a dip in the sea, there’s also loads of freshwater places to swim around Aber too.
- Dressing Gown and Slippers/ Sliders – There is nothing worse than being woken up by a fire drill and having nothing quick to throw on to go outside, having something quick and easy to slip on as soon as you’ve been woken up will make the process much easier.
- A big bag to carry laundry – It’s so much easier to go down to the laundry room when you can carry it all in one big bag!
Have fun and enjoy your time at Aberystwyth everyone!