Questions for the officers: "What would be your top 3 tips for any new students starting at Aberystwyth in September?"
Chloe - Academic Affairs Officer
1. Join a club or society! Every new student coming to Aber is in the exact same boat as you, and the number one way you can find your Aber family is by meeting people based on common interests!
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are so many people around who are more than happy to point you in the right direction for anything. There is no such thing as a stupid question, maybe just a funny one! If you ever need anything at all, swing by the SU. We’ve got you!
3. Don’t eat food outside. Ever. The seagulls are evil and have no limits.
Connor - Wellbeing Officer
1. Join a society or a club; there is a group for everyone!
2. Explore the town; you’re in a beautiful place and there is plenty to see.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, everyone at the university is really friendly and happy to assist you with anything you need help with.
Moc - Welsh Culture Officer and UMCA President
1. People often tell you as a student of the importance to socialise or the importance of working hard, but my first tip to any student is to ensure a healthy balance of both.
2. Join a society or sports team. I’ve met so many people and done so many incredible things through different societies and teams, and you would genuinely be missing out if you didn’t join at least one.
3. Be yourself, it’s probably my most important tip. Be yourself; you’ll meet more people you like and that like you.
Nate - Union President
1. Join a sport or society – you'll meet people at uni you might not have otherwise and make some great friends.
2. Learn to cook and take it in turns with your flatmates (Something I still need to do).
3. Have fun, relax and enjoy yourself! Your time at uni will go a lot quicker than you think. Make sure you enjoy every moment and make it an amazing experience!
Wojtek - Student Opportunities Officer
1. Join as many clubs/societies as you feel drawn to and find the ones that fit your schedule.
2. Do not spend money on ready-to-eat meals, cook for yourself instead – it’s healthier and cheaper… and you can always find all of the recipes you need online.
3. Do not wait around for the perfect opportunity to do something (ask your crush out, join a society, go for a run), create the opportunity by DOING IT. You might not get it the first time, but without trying there is no chance you’re gonna succeed. Life is too short to be waiting around anyway.